Swimbait/Flippin' Rod

Spookin'Em43

Swimbait/Flippin' Rod

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

So I am currently in search for a new Swimbait/Flippin' Rod. I am looking at only spending a little over $100 and I have been looking at the Lamiglas Excel 7'11" Heavy. Does anyone have this rod, if so, how do you like it? or have any other possible suggestions? Thanks!

Derrick
Derrick Hicks

Humboldt State University-FLW College Series

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
Smitty

Re: Swimbait/Flippin' Rod

Post by Smitty »

Understand where you are coming from but I have never really found one that does both well. You might want to look at getting two rods that are used instead of one unless you are using small swimbaits. A flippin stick will need a pretty soft tip for bigger swimbaits not only for casting, but the hookset is so so important to the hook up ratio. I am sure a Pro Staffer from Dobyns or Powell might be able to tell you one that will do both but most are technique specific for a reason. Good luck, and if someone has one that does both really well I want to know too!
Smitty
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Smitty wrote:Understand where you are coming from but I have never really found one that does both well. You might want to look at getting two rods that are used instead of one unless you are using small swimbaits. A flippin stick will need a pretty soft tip for bigger swimbaits not only for casting, but the hookset is so so important to the hook up ratio. I am sure a Pro Staffer from Dobyns or Powell might be able to tell you one that will do both but most are technique specific for a reason. Good luck, and if someone has one that does both really well I want to know too!
Smitty
I just want to throw smaller swimbaits for now, nothing big. TW says that the Lamiglas Excel 7'11" Heavy is suitable for flippin and swimbaits
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
Dobyn's Rods, RBBassfishing, Abu Garcia, El Grande Lures, Trilene, Berkely, D&M Baits, Zipper Worms, Rod Glove, Tackle Warehouse, HatCams
SethB

Post by SethB »

Just got to put this out there, for the most part swimbait rods and flippin' rods are WAY different. With that said in a pinch you can sub one for the other. More a swimbait rod for a flippin' stick than a flippin' stick for a swinbait rod but i guess Steve Kennedy showed us you can flail a hudd with a flipping stick and still wack a few.
Okuma makes a 7'6" MH and 7'6" H that are both swimbait rods by desing. They could be used as a heavy flippin' rod. 7'6" heavy okuma makes a pretty sweet rod for pitchin' frogs and heavy punch baits.
You can use flipping stick as a swimbait rod for smaller swimbaits. If you are serious about either you need to buy a rod built for the technique.
Take that for what its worth.
I love my 7'6" Okuma swimbait rods(the most vetsitile true swimbait rod on the market) with a 3/8 - 1/2 oz. flipping jig. Were talkin' strait meat stick.
Really just get rods built for what you do when you can. Just remember swimbait rods work much better as a flipping sticks than a flipping sticks work as swimbait rods.
Take a kid fishing
aNNieNsaLTIE

I found one!!!

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Small swimbaits......Mission fish, Mighty minnows, baitsmiths, med ospreys..... then flip or pitch and throw frogs... Dobyns Champion 736... I got mine with a core spooled with 80lb samurai braid.. This set up is sweet!!! I also tried my 765 dobyns chamipon and 795 dobyns extreme. these rod is even better when needing to make longer cast when fishing thick stuff with the baits mentioned above...

next friday i am heading up to clear lake with a couple of friends. I will be experimenting throwing baby wakes and bull shads and other hard baits on the 795 just to get a better feel.. i do not like following what the specs say on rods. I like to experitment and decide if the rod i have in my hand is the feel i am looking for.
Last edited by aNNieNsaLTIE on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

SethB wrote:Just got to put this out there, for the most part swimbait rods and flippin' rods are WAY different. With that said in a pinch you can sub one for the other. More a swimbait rod for a flippin' stick than a flippin' stick for a swinbait rod but i guess Steve Kennedy showed us you can flail a hudd with a flipping stick and still wack a few.
Okuma makes a 7'6" MH and 7'6" H that are both swimbait rods by desing. They could be used as a heavy flippin' rod. 7'6" heavy okuma makes a pretty sweet rod for pitchin' frogs and heavy punch baits.
You can use flipping stick as a swimbait rod for smaller swimbaits. If you are serious about either you need to buy a rod built for the technique.
Take that for what its worth.
I love my 7'6" Okuma swimbait rods(the most vetsitile true swimbait rod on the market) with a 3/8 - 1/2 oz. flipping jig. Were talkin' strait meat stick.
Really just get rods built for what you do when you can. Just remember swimbait rods work much better as a flipping sticks than a flipping sticks work as swimbait rods.
Completely agree Seth, I just cant afford two rods right now, especially with tuition going up and HSU starting a mandatory no more than 13 unit cap next semester , its going to take damn near 6 years for me to get a bachelors in Fisheries :evil: but thats another topic for another time. For now, I think I want to do more flippin' and punchin' and just throw smaller swimbaits every once in awhile.
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
bigjosh15

Post by bigjosh15 »

Go with a Wright & McGill Skeet Tessera Rod. Go with the 8' rod. You can Flip/Pitch/Punch/throw big swimbaits. I have seen guys throw a BBZ-1 a mile with that rod. And at the same time, punch, flip/pitch. If you wanna spend a little more money, go with a Dobyns SS734C. You can Flip/Pitch, and throw smaller swimbaits. Hope this helps

Josh
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hmmmm A driver/putter combo?? :?
OG on WB since 1993
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

Mike wrote:Hmmmm A driver/putter combo?? :?

:lol: i know, but like I said, on a budget and want to try and find something that can get me away with both if possible for at least a little while.
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

The Skeet Reese Tessera rod will do it. It has a much light tip than most flipping rods. I find it great for punching 'cause I like a little give in the tip. That aspect will also make it acceptable for single hook smaller swimbaits.

NoCAL
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Not sure about the Lami rod you mentioned,, but I use my Lami 806 (certified pro series) for flippn and smaller swimbaits all the time... and i have plenty of pure flippin sticks and swimbait rods too,, I just really like the action of the 806. It's also good for buzz baits, spooks/punkers, open water froggin, big blades, punchin.... just about anything except finesse really

the new price is a little more than u wanted but u may be able to find one used

but like others mentioned,, most rods are technique specific by design and won't do both very well
Vince Borges

Post by Vince Borges »

Just a little advice, buy a flipping stick and use it for your small swimbaits. Not a swimbait rod that you want to use for a flipping stick. Reason being a true swimbait rod will have a longer handle say 13" and longer as to a flippin stick with a 10" handle. The longer handle will bug you when flipping. And you dont need a long handle for small swimbaits.
http://www.eyesurrender.com
http://www.proworm.com
http://www.basstackledepot.com
http://www.phenixrods.com
http://www.tntbaits.com
http://www.blackwaterinternationalinc.com
http://www.megastrike.com
http://www.vinceborgesoutdoors.com
jamescaird

Post by jamescaird »

The Powell 805 is a great flippin stick that will perform well as a swimbait/punker rod. The rear grip could be longer for swimbaits but it performs better than many "swimbait" rods in my mind in terms of casting a 2-5 oz bait and keeping the fish pinned. Lamiglas 806 also good for this (very parabolic action, very similar in action to Bill Siemental's signature swimbait rod... lami big bait special, just lighter).
C & C Marine

Post by C & C Marine »

+ 1 on what Vince Borges said.
Your biggest challenge will be to find a rod in that price range. I would look in the classifieds for a nice used flipping stick. You can also take a look at the Abu Garcia Vendetta model # VTC76-6
for $89.95. These rods are very nice for the price. Good luck Jim
http://www.teamccmarine.com

C & C Marine - Modesto
747 South 9th st
Modesto, CA 95351
209-526-4120

C & C Marine - Newcastle
9390 Old State Highway
Newcastle, CA 95658
916-729-0590
Spookin'Em43

Post by Spookin'Em43 »

C & C Marine wrote:+ 1 on what Vince Borges said.
Your biggest challenge will be to find a rod in that price range. I would look in the classifieds for a nice used flipping stick. You can also take a look at the Abu Garcia Vendetta model # VTC76-6
for $89.95. These rods are very nice for the price. Good luck Jim
I have a 7' Vendetta that I paired with my Revo, and I like that rod a lot. A lot of good ideas ive gotten. I definitely understand, and knew before posting this topic, that these really are two completely different rods and hard o find both in 1. I am thinkin about gettin a flippin stick just because Im going to be doing more of that, and then throw smaller swimbaits like mission fish on occasion.
Derrick Hicks

I Proudly Endorse:
snapitoff2002

Post by snapitoff2002 »

Mojo Flippin' stick is still good for 6" baits... and a 765 Powell will fling those hollow bellies.
Josh Palmer

"Champions keep playing till they get it right"