WRL and BASS Elite

TDawg

WRL and BASS Elite

Post by TDawg »

So I am fishing the WRL this Sunday out of Russo's and am wondering what to do with regards to the BASS guys. I know that if I see one of them on a spot that I was going to fish I am not going anywhere near it. My question is what to do if I am already fishing and one of the BASS guys pulls up? Should I pull up and go to give them a wide bearth or should I stay and make them fish around me?

An example is that you are fishing in the back of Sand Mound and KVD pulls in. Would you stay and fish or would you leave? :?

Good fishing,

TDawg
Levy

Re: WRL and BASS Elite

Post by Levy »

If I am in a tourny I am staying. If I am just fun fishing I would probably leave if asked.
ASD

Post by ASD »

+1
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

TDawg wrote:So I am fishing the WRL this Sunday out of Russo's and am wondering what to do with regards to the BASS guys. I know that if I see one of them on a spot that I was going to fish I am not going anywhere near it. My question is what to do if I am already fishing and one of the BASS guys pulls up? Should I pull up and go to give them a wide bearth or should I stay and make them fish around me?

An example is that you are fishing in the back of Sand Mound and KVD pulls in. Would you stay and fish or would you leave? :?

Good fishing,

TDawg
your fishing for basically fun, bragging rights, a chance at your toc, and possibly a few dollars.

They are fishing to feed there families and make a living. It may not be KVD, it may be that young 19 year old rookie trying to make a living or it could be a guy who is struggling to survive on tour.

For me, it's an easy decision, give it up and probably either leave or hang out and watch!

These guys are fishing for a living, WRL, no offense but..........

Just my .02
bigjosh15

Post by bigjosh15 »

Hollywood wrote:
TDawg wrote:So I am fishing the WRL this Sunday out of Russo's and am wondering what to do with regards to the BASS guys. I know that if I see one of them on a spot that I was going to fish I am not going anywhere near it. My question is what to do if I am already fishing and one of the BASS guys pulls up? Should I pull up and go to give them a wide bearth or should I stay and make them fish around me?

Good fishing,

TDawg

your fishing for basically fun, bragging rights, a chance at your toc, and possibly a few dollars.

They are fishing to feed there families and make a living. It may not be KVD, it may be that young 19 year old rookie trying to make a living or it could be a guy who is struggling to survive on tour.

For me, it's an easy decision, give it up and probably either leave or hang out and watch!

These guys are fishing for a living, WRL, no offense but..........

Just my .02
+1
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

This is a really tough one. Alot of these guys rely on the checks they cash to be able to continue to fish, and some to even eat. Let your gut tell you what to do. I have had both good and bad happen from other boats during the FLW Series T's. I am going to be out on the water the next four days practicing for some up coming tournaments. I plan on letting em play thru even when they are practicing. I dont tend to stick alot of fish in any given spot unless it is tournament day or the big ones are flat out on it. This week if they are flat out on it, I will more than likely leave after one fish. Everyone has a right to be out there, just be respectful and realize these guys futures are on the line. With that said once again, do what you feel is right.
Smitty
PS I would do the same for you if you were in a tournament and I wasnt
steve black

Post by steve black »

TDawg great question, If your on fish and catching them then by all means continue fishing, these guys for the most part will let you know their intention and may not know that your fishing a tournament as well. Good boat adequate goes a long way with these guys and everyone else for that matter and most will understand.If your not catching you can take comfort knowing you and him picked a great spot,and maybe by pulling off and watching him work the spot for a couple of seconds you may learn something about that spot. I feel these guys usually have more than one area and if you stay it's not going to make or break them either way. If your asking these types of questions your already ahead of most guys fishing out their. Don't let his or your own ego ruin the day hold your ground if you feel it's worth it too you. If your fishing Randy's WRL then it sounds like you make good sound choices already. Good Luck on the water and have fun.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Hollywood,
with all the respect bro, but this is the most ridiculous position for anyone to have on this.

I drive to work everyday to make a living, but i dont see a dang single driver who is "fun" driving, going on vacation, or someone with a job less than me going and getting off the roads or out of my way so i can "feed my family". Really?

I am all for NOT interfering, NOT being as AS*, and showing everyday courtesy, but there is no reason for anyone to give up a spot, or move away, just because an Elite guy comes in to fish an area. WE ARE ALL OUT THERE - JUST FISHING! Until they close the lake to all traffic, all fishing, all recreation; then everyone has the right to be there as long as they found it on their own. I even think its more important to fish it if your in a tourney. the WRL is no less important to those participants than the elites are to those guys. It's all a game for us to enjoy!

These guys are professionals, and they know that there is going to be weekend traffic and locals using the water that they are competing on - that's part of the competition. All of them will surely be taking that into consideration; especially if the only fish they can find is a community hole like sandmound. KVD & the 19yr old rookie are all big boys playing a man's sport, dont treat them like babies. that just weakens the whole sport!

TDawg,
Go fish the WRL, and fish your water and have fun. Be courteous if someone comes in and asks you if they can fish too, you decide, but dont feel like you need to move. They will show you the same respect back knowing you found these fish on your own and know the Delta.

Whatever you do, dont go to water just cause the elite guy is there. that would be a No No.

Have fun,

Kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
TomL

Post by TomL »

If it were me - I'd ask the guy - "Hey, I am in a tournament too - but, small bucks compared to your's. You want me to get out of here?"

A. Gives you a chance to talk to them if only briefly.

B. It shows them you understand the sport and have respect for their JOBS

C. There is a good chance they'll say something like - "I'd like from that dock down... you can fish the rest if you want it." Then you can still fish the area and enjoy a show at the same time.

Most (if not all) of the Elite guys are super cool and deserve our respect for water for a few days (on the Delta and on Clear Lake) every couple years.

It sucks to have a tournament on the same body of water as them on the same day - but, there are only so many weekends for all the events we have out here... so I get it.

The fact you are asking this says a lot about who you are. I am sure there are guys fishing the same event as you that will
A. Fish an Elite Angler's spot and feel more like it's their spot and the Elite Angler should leave it for them.
B. Try to compete with them (weigh more than they do for the day)
C. Will prefish via internet (photos, videos etc of the Elite event) or bent rod method - meaning drive around the day before and look for the Pro's with the Bent Rods (fish on) then fish that area for the tournament.

Hopefully, there aren't many of those guys - but, then again - I'd like to think there aren't many who would cut someone off on the freeway either etc... etc... Some people just don't care about anyone but themselves whether its anglers, golfers, bowlers, doctors, lawyers, business owners, drug addicts - you name it. There are selfish people in all walks of life and you apparently aren't one of them!

Have fun and good luck
catch a few blimps!
twister

Post by twister »

kopper_bass wrote:Hollywood,
with all the respect bro, but this is the most ridiculous position for anyone to have on this.

I drive to work everyday to make a living, but i dont see a dang single driver who is "fun" driving, going on vacation, or someone with a job less than me going and getting off the roads or out of my way so i can "feed my family". Really?

I am all for NOT interfering, NOT being as AS*, and showing everyday courtesy, but there is no reason for anyone to give up a spot, or move away, just because an Elite guy comes in to fish an area. WE ARE ALL OUT THERE - JUST FISHING! Until they close the lake to all traffic, all fishing, all recreation; then everyone has the right to be there as long as they found it on their own. I even think its more important to fish it if your in a tourney. the WRL is no less important to those participants than the elites are to those guys. It's all a game for us to enjoy!

These guys are professionals, and they know that there is going to be weekend traffic and locals using the water that they are competing on - that's part of the competition. All of them will surely be taking that into consideration; especially if the only fish they can find is a community hole like sandmound. KVD & the 19yr old rookie are all big boys playing a man's sport, dont treat them like babies. that just weakens the whole sport!

TDawg,
Go fish the WRL, and fish your water and have fun. Be courteous if someone comes in and asks you if they can fish too, you decide, but dont feel like you need to move. They will show you the same respect back knowing you found these fish on your own and know the Delta.

Whatever you do, dont go to water just cause the elite guy is there. that would be a No No.

Have fun,

Kopper
Well said. I frequent the Delta almost every weekend and I wouldn't abandon a spot just because a Pro wanted to fish it. Like most people I work hard during the week and expect a good time fishing on the weekends. On the flip side it's not right to crowd any fisherman because he's doing good. Ie. fish 100 ft behind KVD. What is a good respectable following distance?
River City Bassmasters

www.rcbassmasters.us

WHERE SHARING INFORMATION IS FUN.
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

You are fishing on sunday, there will only be 12 elites on the water on that day. Just use your best judgement as to what to do. Most likely you won't want to stay there anyway because of all the spectator boats following those guys around.
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

I'm with Hollywood on this. I would let them fish my spot, I'm not fishing against them and they have alot more on the line. To me its more about our ethics in this sport. These guys do this for a living and I don't look at it like its another driver on the highway. I look at it as "Seniority" I guess you could say. Giving your chair to an older couple standing or something like that. I may think differant I don't know....my .02 cents
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

I will be fishing the even too, if one of the BASS guys comes up and asks If I can move, or back off, I will. Then I will ask him how far back do you want me, because I am in a tournament as well. They will tell me where and I will go there. If they come up and Im fishing and they dont ask me to move I'll treat it like another angler that comes up, and just enjoy fishin, and watching a pro at work! Its pretty simple in my opinion!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

I am pretty impressed with everyone's attitude regarding this. I think I would talk to them to get a feel for what they want to do and determine if I could fish it with them without hurting them. If the wanted the water I would give to them out of respect for them. I would ask them if they wanted so they did not have to ask me. I would hope that if I was in the same position of being in the top ten others would do that for me without being asked. If I were in their position I would never ask anyone to give up their water.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

As stated in this and other posts these elite guys better not be relying on one spot to win the tourny. If i'm on a spot and catching em' during the WRL they can fish after I'm done or go somewhere else. Just because I don't make a living at it doesn't mean times aren't tough for everyone. The fact of the matter is I can barely afford to fish the "measly WRL" as it seems others of you view it, and have put my hard earned money into doing it. If I have a chance at winning a couple thousand bucks in a weekend and the chance at a new boat from the TOC be damned certain I'm going to. In these times winning that for me is as important as those guys winning the Elite because it means I will be able to afford to continue fishing in tournaments or even just for fun.
Now if I was just out there fun fishing and they wanted my spot then sure I'd back off and watch em go to work. However even the Elite guys started somewhere fishing little tournys like WRL on their local water and worked their way up to where they are at. I'm sure they understand that there are other people that are gonna beat em to some of the areas they want and they can adjust accordingly.

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
Calibama

Post by Calibama »

I agree with Joe.Fish you water your way on your time frame.They are making a living at this game but most ain't playing on their money.You are.Don't pull in on one or crowd one but I wouldn't make a special effoft to do all I could to ditch my deal to make theirs work.If you think you need to run off out of respect everytime you see one of these guys you might as well not fish you tourny that day.If your going to fish a tourney the same day fish it to win.It's just as important to you as theirs is to them.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Jason C. wrote:I will be fishing the even too, if one of the BASS guys comes up and asks If I can move, or back off, I will. Then I will ask him how far back do you want me, because I am in a tournament as well. They will tell me where and I will go there. If they come up and Im fishing and they dont ask me to move I'll treat it like another angler that comes up, and just enjoy fishin, and watching a pro at work! Its pretty simple in my opinion!
YOu got a boat again?
bassfisher

Post by bassfisher »

I Don't agree with the WRL on having a tournament on the final day of the Elites, doesn't that tournament draw 100 boats or more?? I don't think guys on the WRL are trying to make a living like the Elites, I understand there just another person fishing and the top pros are making big money, but there is guys struggling to try and make a name for themselves. In my opinion I think it is unedicate and disrespectful not to back off if an Elite pulls up and wants to fish. People just don't have a conscience anymore.
g-man

Post by g-man »

kopper_bass wrote:Hollywood,

TDawg,

Have fun,

Kopper
+1000
100% LL
fishnhunt21

Post by fishnhunt21 »

bassfisher wrote:I Don't agree with the WRL on having a tournament on the final day of the Elites, doesn't that tournament draw 100 boats or more?? I don't think guys on the WRL are trying to make a living like the Elites, I understand there just another person fishing and the top pros are making big money, but there is guys struggling to try and make a name for themselves. In my opinion I think it is unedicate and disrespectful not to back off if an Elite pulls up and wants to fish. People just don't have a conscience anymore.
LMFAO! I disagree with BASS having their final 12 fishing on MY TOURNAMENT day...so not cool on their part...hahahaha!

With that said, I have no problem backing off if one of the 12 is in the area I am. I have nothing, but respect for them, but at the same time, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.
Last edited by fishnhunt21 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASD

Post by ASD »

:lol: can't we all just get along :wink:
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

lots of good posts , I say communicate with others, have sportsmanship, use common sense and respect other anglers no matter what the day or situation....unless you run across a total obnoxious jerk then leave, confrontation will only spoil the day.
Last edited by swordfish on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

ash wrote:
Jason C. wrote:I will be fishing the even too, if one of the BASS guys comes up and asks If I can move, or back off, I will. Then I will ask him how far back do you want me, because I am in a tournament as well. They will tell me where and I will go there. If they come up and Im fishing and they dont ask me to move I'll treat it like another angler that comes up, and just enjoy fishin, and watching a pro at work! Its pretty simple in my opinion!
YOu got a boat again?
No Im fishin with Scott J, this time though we are fishing out of the Inland Marine boat! Ill be out there Friday-Sunday fishing. Im hoping where I will be pre-fishing I run into some of the pros on the water, so I can watch how they attack it. I am not going to openly seek them out but if I pull up to one of the spots I want to go to, I will keep off quite a bit, do my thing and watch them do theirs!
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Brian

Post by Brian »

They chose their profession and all that goes with it.

I wouldn’t encroach, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to move out of the way! Especially if by some slim chance I’m actually catching fish on the delta, something I haven’t seem to be able to do this year. LOL :lol:

Nope, there is alot of water out there, they can go somewhere else.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
g-man

Post by g-man »

Brian wrote:They chose their profession and all that goes with it.

I wouldn’t encroach, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to move out of the way! Especially if by some slim chance I’m actually catching fish on the delta, something I haven’t seem to be able to do this year. LOL :lol:

Nope, there is alot of water out there, they can go somewhere else.
You need to get out of their way at once, they are superior, and you are nothing! Forget the fact that you paid the gas, entry fees, hotel etc. When the Elite guys are fishing the Delta you must stay home, its their RIGHT! They need to earn their living. Your money, or possible winning on that day mean Zilch! LMAO!

To say that a WRL guy thats fishing for money has to move, or should is STUPID IMHO! Be respectful of course, but they are no better, or have no more right then we do. I think either choice thats made is a good one if played the right way..
100% LL
bassfisher

Post by bassfisher »

I think the originator of this post has a consience, but some of the other posts are just ridiculous with the GIANT EGOS OF HAVING CONTROL OF "THEIR WATER" , must feel good to have control of something? Treat others as you want to be treated. Don't think you would like it if you flipped the situation. :evil:
Love this sport but man there is alot of weirdos. Do what you gotta do
Just Remember KHARMA
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

TomL wrote:If it were me - I'd ask the guy - "Hey, I am in a tournament too - but, small bucks compared to your's. You want me to get out of here?"

A. Gives you a chance to talk to them if only briefly.

B. It shows them you understand the sport and have respect for their JOBS

C. There is a good chance they'll say something like - "I'd like from that dock down... you can fish the rest if you want it." Then you can still fish the area and enjoy a show at the same time.

Most (if not all) of the Elite guys are super cool and deserve our respect for water for a few days (on the Delta and on Clear Lake) every couple years.

It sucks to have a tournament on the same body of water as them on the same day - but, there are only so many weekends for all the events we have out here... so I get it.

The fact you are asking this says a lot about who you are. I am sure there are guys fishing the same event as you that will
A. Fish an Elite Angler's spot and feel more like it's their spot and the Elite Angler should leave it for them.
B. Try to compete with them (weigh more than they do for the day)
C. Will prefish via internet (photos, videos etc of the Elite event) or bent rod method - meaning drive around the day before and look for the Pro's with the Bent Rods (fish on) then fish that area for the tournament.

Hopefully, there aren't many of those guys - but, then again - I'd like to think there aren't many who would cut someone off on the freeway either etc... etc... Some people just don't care about anyone but themselves whether its anglers, golfers, bowlers, doctors, lawyers, business owners, drug addicts - you name it. There are selfish people in all walks of life and you apparently aren't one of them!

Have fun and good luck
catch a few blimps!
Very sensible approach. Treat them just like you would like to be treated. If by some slim chance you are on AMart's sweet spot why not let him play through? No, you don't owe him a thing but you can be sure you will learn something. Something probably more valuable than winning the tournament.
g-man

Post by g-man »

bassfisher wrote:I think the originator of this post has a consience, but some of the other posts are just ridiculous with the GIANT EGOS OF HAVING CONTROL OF "THEIR WATER" , must feel good to have control of something? Treat others as you want to be treated. Don't think you would like it if you flipped the situation. :evil:
Love this sport but man there is alot of weirdos. Do what you gotta do
Just Remember KHARMA
There is no "THEIR WATER" The Delta is a public waterway. Some people seem to think that cause some guy has some patches on his shirt, or has won a lot of money fishing they should have the right away! Thanks for clearing that UP!
100% LL
bassfisher

Post by bassfisher »

was commenting on the guys that won't move out of the way for the pros , guys that think they own the water, so many guys like that in this sport, again Giant Egos, just have a little respect, I agree i could care less about the pros, but your telling me your not going to get out of the way for the pioneers of the sport when there here for a tournament every few years, like Rick Clunn etc... so unethical, just horrible for the sport. Once again KHARMA , hope the guys that do that never have any success in the sport, they would be teaching the younger anglers to have bad habits also. That is my opinion, would like to know what Cooch thought about this. Or any other pro on the Delta.
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

Fishing the BASS Elite if your in the top 12 your going to have a really nice check and points anyway. I don't buy the; I need to feed my kids story. It's quite a chunk of change to travel accross the country and gamble with your families needs .
If I'm on a spot I would share it if asked and if someone is on a spot I like, I would fish way around and thru (in other words give them 50 yards on either side of their position). Thats about as fair as I can get after paying my own entry fees. If fishing for fun I would give up the location for anyone fishing a tournament.
I can recall fishing a few tournaments here in California, back in the day with a few very well known BASS Pro's that back then where not very well known. They fished very aggressively and would parctically fish in your live well untill you moved away from your spot. The names witheld.

Good Fishin
g-man

Post by g-man »

bassfisher wrote:was commenting on the guys that won't move out of the way for the pros , guys that think they own the water, so many guys like that in this sport, again Giant Egos.

Imagine how big the EGOs are of the guys fishing the Elite Delta if they think its acceptable to make a guy move, or expect it??

Your statements on this subject seem double standard to me. What if the WRL guys where making more money then them? Does that mean the Elite guys should move?
:?

If I'm camping and the "Survivor Man" needs to camp in my spot hes F##Ked BT! :lol:
100% LL
Brian

Post by Brian »

g-man wrote:
If I'm camping and the "Survivor Man" needs to camp in my spot hes F##Ked BT! :lol:
:lol: :lol: ROTFLMFAO!
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
texas john

Post by texas john »

I too will be fishing on Sunday (WRL) and think its great that we will both be out there, the best in the world and and the future California Pros. Im sorry but I will not move off of a spot so that they can fish it. I work hard (when there is work) and save my pennies and dimes to be able to afford to fish these tournaments and at the chance to win a couple thousand dollars. I think these guys are great but I will not give up a chance at a win just so some elite series guy can fish a spot that I am already on. I hope that they and all of us have a great tournament and dont run into each other!!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Rich reeser

Post by Rich reeser »

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. If I'm sitting on a spot that one of the elite guys want to fish it will be a miracle. And if i am I will make room for him to find out what I should be doing since I'm sure I'll still be in search of a fish willing to bite. I agree with TomL and there is room on the same bank for two boats, so I personally would give an elite angler a wide birth on the final day of his tourny and wish him the best. I do believe in carma and I for one want all the good carma I can get the way my prefishing has been going on the delta. :roll:
C.GANN

Post by C.GANN »

They are the Elite Anglers then its all part of the game or job , boats people other anglers just be the same as you would for anyone , they have no more rights then anyone else , respect its that simple , but thats just me
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

I am clearly staying put.........for if I'm there / likely the fish aren't.

I can feel good knowing I helped someone not waste their time on specific spot and likely a pattern. If I'm watched for a moment they will realize the bite ain't coming my way.
Glad to help!
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I really did not want to touch this but here goes. I personally think that bass tournaments just make most people crazy and lose thier sense of better judgement. First thing to remember is that this is gambling. Yes it is not sport at most levels. Second is that you have chose a circuit to fish that has already increased your oods by eleminating the top guys. If you were out for the love of the sport you wouldn't think twice about letting these guys in. With this being said I guess I should site an example.

There is a ACWRL tourney coming up at Melones on the 20th. A week ago Sunday I was guideing two great guys who wanted to swimbait most of the day. We had three big followers, but they just wouldn't commit. Well with a few hours to go I asked them if they wanted to get thier string pulled. On our third spot they started catching some nice fish. We were on one of my offshore hot spots and what amazed these guys was how fast other boats took notice. Within five minutes four boats came within a cast to GPS the spot. The last butthead nearly knocked me out of the boat with his wake. My clients asked if this happened alot. I said only with a tournament coming up and it was probably a good thing that you guys were in the boat today.

Next week on the 19th I am fishing the CBC and I have a offer for the ACWRL prefishing that day. The weigh in will be a 3 o'clock and I want you to feel free to come ask me if I caught any fish on any certain spot you see me on. I will tell you the truth. In exchange I will be fishing a tournament and would appreciate it if you wouldn't jump THESE spots right after I leave since I may be back. Lets all just have fun fishing.
Last edited by Johnny C on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
acm95301

Post by acm95301 »

Oh Boy! I smell Gasoline..but here it goes.

If somebody like Johhny C or one of my freinds (all of whom are better fishermen than I) Showed me a spot or told me about a Spot ITs theres on a tournament, and If I have enough fore thought, I wont abuse thier spots before tournaments either. However, at some point a spot becomes community property if is an obvious one..like a main lake point or something.

If KVD or some other guys asks for me to move though.....damn good chance a I will respond with sign language. They are not more important than anybody else they are just better at tournament fishing. That said I also would not be one of the guys that sit and watch these guys either....I have no idea how these guys cope with all the attention and disturbance.

Also I hardly think KVD would need my spot...chances are he has found his own spots and they are productive becasue few others know about them.
2009 Bass tracker 175 TXW 60 hp
Lowrance HD7 with Lss-1.
Power Drive V2 70lb 24v Minnkota trolling Motor.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I think it's real simple Tdawg, if your there first and he comes up, you keep fishing. He is GOING to strike up a conversation with you, make no mistake about that! And if he does the right thing in doing so, you invite him in, let him know you too are fishing a local event and there's plenty of room for both, maybe we can teach each other something! It's a win win!

If you pull up and see him there, play it safe and curteous, and just move onto another one of your spots, you no doubt, will have far more places to go fish than some of these guys!
kb

Post by kb »

Well I know better than to jump in here but here goes!

The date is October 2nd and you are excited, you have fished ALL year to qualify for the Championship and there is a boat up for grabs. This is the biggest tournament of your career. You practice goes well but there are sure alot of boats on the water. That day you find out there is a 100 boat team tournament going on the same day. You are fishing for big money, a boat, you have alot invested and they are fishing for $1000 first place prize.

You get to "your spot" and sure enough there are two boats right in the middle of your best area, you shut down and fish your way towards them, they say hi you in our tournament? You say no I am fishing the other one for the boat...mind if I fish here? Well we are in a tounament and we arent' moving for you your told.

Now move this to the final day and your in the lead, yep first place, haven't slept all night, the family is coming to the weigh in. Have to pull this one off. Get to your spot and sure enough the same two guys and three more boats that saw you catch 4 of your fish yesterday, they are throwing the same bait, one boat is just putting one in the well but one of the other ones is sitting on your very best little stretch....and I mean sitting on it, casting to an area that you haven't even had a bite on...Those fish on their depth finder that they can see are worth $40,000 and you can't even get a cast to them.

That is likely the position the Elite guys will be put in this week. If they are on the lake on Sunday they have made it to the final cut day, the tv day, the big money day, the day their sponsor boat gets on ESPN2 maybe locking in that deal for another month, six or even a year, the big crowd and let's not forget the all important points that may eventually lead to the Bassmasters Classic, the top twelve cut for AoY or even the the coveted Toyota Tundra Angler of the Year.

They have been thinking about this for 43 hours while they drove across rain, sleet, snow and hail to get here. they have another 43 hours home.

Yep I know it is everyones lake, everyone has a right to be there and catch fish but have some consideration to what these guys are doing out there. They are not all millionaires fishing on sponsor checks that have lots of zeros on them. many of them (most of them) are fishing a make or break year on the Elite series. they have been cut back from sponsors and most are financing the entry fees and expenses from their own bank account. They are business owners, their business is fishing , they have bills just like you do.

Well back to your championship, you never got that spot to yourself, fell to a nice finish but not a win, not the big money and as you leave the lake you think to yourself there are 51 other weekends why did those guys have to fish the same weekend as our big tournament???????

Show the guys some consideration, give them room and let them do their job. You never see a wiffle ball game break out at Pac Bell, never see a good game of flag football during the AFC championships, nobody ever asked Tiger if they could play through (ok maybe they did but not at the golf course)

Not one of those guys expect you to kiss their butt but they do expect some degree of respect while they do their job. Let's try to give it to them.

All year we say "we have the best fishing here at the Delta and Clear Lake I would like to see how those guys on Bassmaster would do here" Well here is our chance. Hope to see all of you at the weigh-ins. My boat will be in the Triton Display stop by and say hi and let's share a fish story.

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

As usual KB, well said.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
texas john

Post by texas john »

Great point and well said Mr. Brown, but im still not moving. If I am there first I will make room or whatever is needed but I know I am not counting on one spot to make my weight for the day, I would hope they are not either.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/jtrtexca/usmcsealani.gif[/img]
www.johnrector.yolasite.com
www.pepperjigs.com
Meddock

Post by Meddock »

Kent Bravo !!!!!!!

I read down through this list and I think to myself that alot of these guys are aspiring to be pro fisherman and I wonder how they would feel if the shoe was on the other foot ????

Second I read comments from aspiring future pros that may one day be looking for sponsor support and they make comments in an open forum like this that frankly arent the type of people that most sponsors would like to have on thier staff.

Gentlemen lots of sponsors and industry insiders read these forums . So be careful with what you say as comments on these forums may one day hurt your chances in the future.
Mark Meddock
bassfisher

Post by bassfisher »

That was great KB and Meddock, finally get some great posts, some of these guys amaze me on here, can't give the pros a little room, so odd. I guess they have to make themselves feel good somehow in there lives and that is to be inconsiderate to others. Don't understand how some of these guys are going to be pros in the future with those attitudes, and if they do I hope they get boats on there spots every tournament, these are the type of guys that like to talk about "what they would've done" , where they would've fished, what color they would've used, etc.....anyways, Im tired of lisening to these guys that must have HUGE EGOS, and must be extremely jealous. HOPE YOU ALL LOOSE ON SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

The shortest road to success is helping others be successful. Think about it!
whazup

Post by whazup »

To me the big difference is, one guy is trying to make a living. The other is playing at his hobby. Money on the table? Yep, but if you can't afford it don't do it. I can't......and don't.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
big_limits

Post by big_limits »

I'm sorry but for me personally, $3000 dollars would mean a great deal to me right now. How would someone in a position similar to mine be expected to go home and tell his family..."yeah i was on the fish and could've won but Kent Brown says the money invested, time spent awake, traveling, prizes, and families of the elite anglers are more important than mine. Aaron Martens wanted my spot so i did the right thing and realized our place in the whole scheme of things and let him have it."
I'm not trying to be a wise a$$ but seriously
1. God
2. Family
3. Fishing
Anyone who knows me Knows how close knit all three of those are.
If I got a chance to win I'm not moving. If I'm graspn at straws and know they stand a better chance than I. I'm outta there. Not just exclusive to the Elites , but if any tourney angler, even the competition, is siting pretty and i feel the spot will help them more than me i'm gone.
Leon Pugh

Post by Leon Pugh »

Just food for thought. What might the future bring if you gave up the water and that Pro won the tournament.
ASD

Post by ASD »

Well I gess you could say "Igave him the spot that won it for him" and if you were real lucky he MIGHT rember it was you that he pushed off that spot but then again he pushed off 10 other guys that day :wink:

But if you are fishing to get into TOC or what ever your turny calls the big one @ the end of the year I bet you would feel bad if you missed it by 1 spot because you gave up that 1 spot / fish
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I understand that fishing the BASS Elite series is a part of the pros job description, however it is just one part. The other part is promoting their sponsors to potential buyers and customers.

I am that buyer, I am that customer, in all fairness if I was not buying the products the guy is promoting then they are out of a job, and now they are fishing derbies. I respect these guys that lay it all out there and are the best at what they do, I hold them in regard and sometimes in bewilderment as to what they accomplish in their professional careers.

It is us the wiffle ball league, flag football teams, small tournaments and weekend anglers that spend the majority of the money with the same sponsors that make it possible for the pros to make a living.

I didn't pick the date or conditions of my tournament, however I am going to fish the conditions in front of me to the best of my ability in order to win, and I expect the same from anyone I encounter on the water, because that is what I do every time I have a tournament, why is this weekend any different?