New Record "Spot"

bassrman

New Record "Spot"

Post by bassrman »

image.jpg
rumor has it " the new record " Spot" was caught this weekend at Bullards Bar' during a tournament" they said 11.2#s ..... any one have any more info ?....
greatwhite888

Re: New Record "Spot"

Post by greatwhite888 »

Heard that it weighed 11.2 @ the weigh in. When they got to the certified scale it weighed 10.95. Still well over the previous record of 10.48. Lou Ferrante was the angler. Info available on the Great Basin Bassers FB page.
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

WOW.. Congrats!! What a donkey of a fish for sure
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

10.95 Wow!....I was there a coupla weeks ago' fished 4 days and only caught 3 keepers" but one went 7#s9oz ! so it was worth the trip ! ever cast I pictured a new world record in my mind ! awsome fishery !....
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Wow! A major accomplishment in your fishing career! Even at 10.95, that is going to be hard to top by anyone! Was she released after weighin?
bushmaster

Post by bushmaster »

That is a great spot. Glad to see it was released back to the lake. The fishing gods will bless you.
CoralSteve

Post by CoralSteve »

Bushmaster... It wasn't released. The guy took it home and was said to have stopped in Truckee on his way home to Sparks to have a certified scale weigh it... sad! Here's one of the many articles http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/15203 ... ught?s=537
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

It's not sad it's a record spot. The only way it can be recognized as a world record is to examine the bass by a biologists to validate the fish and I hope he does everything needed to establish his record.
Catch & Release is a good practice, but it can become overly zealous releasing bass that will die do to bleeding or over handling or in this situation where a world record is possible. Share the moment without condemnation, it's a catch of his lifetime....congratulations!
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Oldschool wrote:It's not sad it's a record spot. The only way it can be recognized as a world record is to examine the bass by a biologists to validate the fish and I hope he does everything needed to establish his record.
Catch & Release is a good practice, but it can become overly zealous releasing bass that will die do to bleeding or over handling or in this situation where a world record is possible. Share the moment without condemnation, it's a catch of his lifetime....congratulations!
Tom

I agree. A spot that big has to be old, and has to have spawned a lot in it's lifetime. Big fish offspring don't get bigger as a fish gets bigger. The genes are the same from first to last, and may even degrade over time. That's why women who give birth at an advanced age have higher rates of abnormal children. Not an indictment, just a fact.
Evidently, we all have a built-in "sell by" date.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Steve

Post by Steve »

Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.
g-man

Post by g-man »

I think he ate it!! :shock:

Nice fish!!
100% LL
Kiss my Bass

Post by Kiss my Bass »

Steve wrote:Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.
What about letting her spawn one last time this year to continue the gene pool? :roll: Either way its a giant!
g-man

Post by g-man »

Kiss my Bass wrote:
Steve wrote:Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.
What about letting her spawn one last time this year to continue the gene pool? :roll: Either way its a giant!
Really? I woulda released it but thats my choice. If it was legally caught (which I'm sure it was) its his right to keep it! And for that matter it was a World Record fish! Pfffft... :roll:
100% LL
Steve

Post by Steve »

Really. One or two more spawns would mean nothing at the population scale. Much more meaningful to ensure getting it certified.
Oh_Son

Post by Oh_Son »

Hmm .. What's the regs on keeping a bass post tournament weigh ins?

Tim little got his spot record and released!!

Who know's the potential of that fish and longevitivty of its life.