Vintage Pflueger Supreme Baitcasting Fishing Reel OLD MEETS NEW Fluke on Gulp Bait

fishjonesbeach

Vintage Pflueger Supreme Baitcasting Fishing Reel OLD MEETS NEW Fluke on Gulp Bait

Post by fishjonesbeach »

Vintage Pflueger Supreme Baitcasting Fishing Reel OLD MEETS NEW Fluke on Gulp Bait. Been wanting to toss some Gulp bait out for fluke / flounder and I thought what a better way then to give the Vintage Pflueger Supreme a work out and that it did! It was like the old world meets the new world, but in a melodic unified fashion. A fine fishing reel from the past meeting up with today’s super bait. Its been a while since I tossed on of these old bait casters but it went really smooth. The reel casts like a dream. Hitting 100 yards easy with a light lob. I had to fight through countless ravenous robins but managed to land 5 summer flounder / fluke with the Gulp - Pflueger Supreme combo.

The set up was a 10ft 2-4oz rated rod with the Pflueger Supreme. I had at least 80 yards of braid and a 10 pound backing. I rigged Carolina style 18" 25lb leader with 2oz barrel swivel and 2/0 to 3/0 off set worm hooks. I don't use the offset to cradle the GULP but rather to create a bend to the bait. I do that time to time. The curve it creates gives it an erratic subtle action. You could use any light worm hook and I use those as well. I like the hook light as it makes the bait easy for the fish to suck in.

The Pflueger Supreme had a CUB drag installed. The CUB drag is a very rudimentary disk drag enacted on the handle itself. When you hold the handle tight the crank shaft will spin turning the spool as it is a direct drive knuckle buster. Elementary but it works. I did have to tighten it and got the tension just right after adjustment as you will see in the video. I'm really digging these vintage fishing reels. I do not think I will be using anything modern any time soon. The old reels are well made and perform like a dream. Then again I don't think I ever used anything too modern anyway, well I reckon GULP is modern! Thanks as always for watching and hope you enjoyed the video as much as we did making it.