Yang named YAB 2021 AOY

MKA

Yang named YAB 2021 AOY

Post by MKA »

Pua on boat.jpeg
Pua Yang of Elk Grove, CA secured the 2021 Angler of the Year (AOY) title for the 2021 season with his 3rd place finish in the TOC on Lake Berryessa. Consistency is the name of the game when it comes to securing an AOY in an 8-event season.

Event #1 – East of 99
Date: 2/20/21
Water: Racho Seco Lake
Place: 13th out of 123 anglers
Total length: 80.25 inches
Bait(s): Spinnerbait

Event #2
Date: 3/20/21
Water: Lake Camanche
Place: 17th out of 114 anglers
Total length: 66.25 inches
Bait(s): Weightless wacky rig Senko, 5” swimbait

Event #3 – Spawn-A-Palooza
Date: 4/17/21
Water: California Delta
Place: 2nd out of 123 anglers
Total length: 88.25 inches
Bait(s): Chatterbait and Spinnerbait

Event #4
Date: 5/22/21
Water: California Delta
Place: 6th out of 63 anglers
Total length: 79.50 inches
Bait(s): Senko and Spinnerbait

Event #5
Date: 6/19/21
Water: Clear Lake
Place: 14th out of 91 anglers
Total Length: 90.25 inches
Bait(s): Chatterbait and Senko

Event #6
Date: 7/24/21
Water: Lake McClure
Place: 4th out of 78 anglers
Total length: 76.75 inches

Event #7 – Chris Laird Memorial
Date: 8/21 and 8/22/22
Water: Clear Lake
Place: 22nd out of 81 anglers
Total length: 168.25 inches (2-day event)
Bait(s): Chatterbait and Senko

Event #8 – TOC
Date: 10/8/21
Water: Lake Berryessa
Place: 3rd out of 48 anglers
Total length: 164.25 inches (2-day event)
Bait(s): Spinnerbait and Ned Rig

When asked about his key to success for the 2021 season, Yang replied, “Even though I’m keeping it simple and using the same baits as everyone else, it’s all about doing something different. For instance, the Chatterbait, I’ll use different weights and fish them in different ways. I’m not always just chucking and winding them. I’ll pitch them into the grass and rip them out to trigger the bite. Like with the Senko, it’s all about being patient with the bait. There’s always fish there and sometimes you just need to soak that bait a little longer than the angler who just fished through the same area to get them to pick it up."

Yang reported that he is excited for the 2022 season to get started. “With all the growth in the sport it’s exciting to see circuits bringing the northern and southern anglers together. I’m excited to see where next year goes with a new season, new trails and new bodies of water", said Yang.

When asked what's up next, he commented, "Right now, kayak fishing is just a hobby. As the sport grows, I might try to take it further and evolve with the sport. I’m planning on fishing multiple trails next year and I will try to qualify for the 2023 KBF National Championship and Bassmaster Kayak Classic."
Attachments
Pua with belt and plaque.jpg