Your Shaky Head Main Line ?

chrisD46

Your Shaky Head Main Line ?

Post by chrisD46 »

What are you currently using as a main line for shaky head applications : Braid + FC leader , straight FC or Co-Poly as a main line ?
Bassmonkey1980

Re: Your Shaky Head Main Line ?

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

10 lb power pro braid to 15 foot leader of p line color moss green cx 8 lb for lakes 10lb for rivers like ca delta i use a berkely crystal connection knot

for the braid to leader but i only wrap it 4 times each way . Never had a problem breaking off. Thats what is on any of my spinning reel regardless of technique.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:10 lb power pro braid to 15 foot leader of p line color moss green cx 8 lb for lakes 10lb for rivers like ca delta i use a berkely crystal connection knot for the braid to leader but i only wrap it 4 times each way . Never had a problem breaking off. Thats what is on any of my spinning reel regardless of technique.
I use that knot. I learned it as the double Albright knot.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

mark poulson wrote:
Bassmonkey1980 wrote:10 lb power pro braid to 15 foot leader of p line color moss green cx 8 lb for lakes 10lb for rivers like ca delta i use a berkely crystal connection knot for the braid to leader but i only wrap it 4 times each way . Never had a problem breaking off. Thats what is on any of my spinning reel regardless of technique.
I figured it had a different name the only thing i do different is wrap it around 4 times each way not 10.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I figured it had a different name the only thing i do different is wrap it around 4 times each way not 10.
I use 7 wraps for most lines, but more for finer braids
CLEAN AND DRY
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

Hey Chris,

I've got a little experience with this, my largest is 13 on the CA Delta with a pile of 6-8 pound large mouth there and Clear Lake too, as well as a pile of 4-6 pound spots, so here's my set up.

I use a system that is dependent on the the water depth I fish. If I'm fishing in shallow water 20' or less I use
15 Gamma Braid, If I'm fishing deeper I will use 10 pound braid. It's the braid I use unless I've got darker weather coming in, then I use a brighter line color like white, chartreuse or blue so I can see the line for better control.

I use 6# and 8# and sometimes 10# Gamma Edge Fluorocarbon and I tie the two lines together with an FG knot. Out of all of the knots I have tried, this is the smallest diameter and strongest knot I have ever used. Trust me try the FG knot!

I use a larger spool reel in a size 25 or 30, it has to have a smooth drag and must be durable enough to last 2 full seasons so take your pick. I use a 7'1" IROD Medium action spinning rod for ever thing from the Frenzy Baits Nail to a drop shot rig this set up has a light tip to feel softer bites, the length to take up line, the back bone to drive the hook through the plastic and still control a big fish. Well that's my set up...good luck!
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

While I don't have Double G's resume by any means my setup is similar.

Berkely X9 Braid in 12lb, with Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon leader in 8 or 10 lb depending on where i am fishing. At Clear Lake and Delta its typically the 10lb. I use a blood knot connection and haven't had issues with it.

Tightlines!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

Great info here!

What knot are you guys tying to the bait itself with the fluorocarbon? I've been having a lot of knots break using a Palomar and am now tying the double improved clinch knot... :?
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Topwater All Day wrote:Great info here!

What knot are you guys tying to the bait itself with the fluorocarbon? I've been having a lot of knots break using a Palomar and am now tying the double improved clinch knot... :?
My go to is still the Palomar knot and a close second is the double San Diego Jam knot - i really like the San Diego knot for braid to hook applications and when I am fishing ultra rocky situations as the knot protects the main line.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
chrisD46

Post by chrisD46 »

Currently I/m using a double uni knot and am learning the Crazy Alberto (Berkley Crystal , Modified Albright) knot . I'm waiting until Fall when the University of Georgia is offering a course in tying the FG Knot ... Just say'n the FG Knot is a challenge to tie - my work around is to loosen my drag a little more with a double uni or crazy alberto knot :lol:
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

chrisD46 wrote:Currently I/m using a double uni knot and am learning the Crazy Alberto (Berkley Crystal , Modified Albright) knot .
The Crazy Alberto and the Berkley Crystal are 2 different knots. With the Crazy Alberto the tag end of the braid goes through the loop in the leader from the same side both times. With the Crystal knot the tag end of the braid goes through the loop in the leader from opposite sides. Modified Albright and Crazy Alberto are the same.

I use the Crazy Alberto because it's fast and easy to tie in the boat, even in the wind.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

bryanmc wrote:
chrisD46 wrote:Currently I/m using a double uni knot and am learning the Crazy Alberto (Berkley Crystal , Modified Albright) knot .
The Crazy Alberto and the Berkley Crystal are 2 different knots. With the Crazy Alberto the tag end of the braid goes through the loop in the leader from the same side both times. With the Crystal knot the tag end of the braid goes through the loop in the leader from opposite sides. Modified Albright and Crazy Alberto are the same.

I use the Crazy Alberto because it's fast and easy to tie in the boat, even in the wind.
I'm the same. I tried the Crystal, and found it a lot harder to pull down and cinch. The Modified Albright is much easier to tie on the water, and my hook knot will break before the Albright does.
CLEAN AND DRY
chrisD46

Post by chrisD46 »

The Berkley Crystal Knot and the Modified Albright / Crazy Alberto knots look the same to me ? As for FC leader to shaky head I am now trying out the Gerald Swindle knot which I believe is a double improved clinch knot ... Lastly , with this set up all I had left for leader material was Berkley 100% FC line #4 lb. pony reel . Now the diameter of this Berkley FC #4 lb. line is equivalent to Seaguar / Sunline #6 lb. to #7 lb. FC line - I got hung up and had a heck of a time purposely breaking off ! The Berkley 100% FC in #4 lb. - #8 lb. is my new leader line choice with braid - a under rated , awesome strength line (with the right knots) .
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

chrisD46 wrote:The Berkley Crystal Knot and the Modified Albright / Crazy Alberto knots look the same to me ?
In my post above I explain the difference between the crazy alberto/modified albright and the crystal knot. It has to do with which way the tag end passes through the loop in the main line at the end.