life vests

Moderators: MKA, ash, Mike M, Caudawg

milehi

life vests

Postby milehi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 am

Getting smart at 77 & am going to start wearing a vest winter time fishing. Any suggestions?

mark poulson

Re: life vests

Postby mark poulson » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:22 pm

milehi wrote:Getting smart at 77 & am going to start wearing a vest winter time fishing. Any suggestions?

Everyone is different, so what works for me might not be right for you.
For me, finding a vest that is lightweight, comfortable, and that allows me to fish all day has made wearing mine all the time a part of my fishing routine.
I would go into a Bass Pro Shop, or any other store with a good selection of vests on display, and try some on.
That will give a starting point.
And remember, a life jacket is not the place to try and save money.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

kb

Postby kb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

That is a smart decision. I would recommend spending a little bit more and getting an automatic inflatable vest not a manual one. Some guys are going to say stay away from inflatable but if you arent comfortable in it you won't wear it and they are the most comfortable to wear. Several brands Onyx and Sospenders.

Hope this helps you
Kent Brown
Ultimate Bass Radio the West's only all bass fishing radio show!

JPFish

Postby JPFish » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 am

As previously stated, everyone has different preferences with PFD's. Get one that you are comfortable wearing for extended periods of time. When trying on PFD's, make sure you wear clothing and jackets that simulate what you'd be wearing while on the boat to ensure you have the right fit.

If you do purchase an automatic inflatable PFD, make sure you follow the recommended maintenance guidelines.

Lawley

Postby Lawley » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Mustang jacket.
Not Only is it a life jacket it is a full on cold weather jacket all in one. Same jacket the coast guard wears

Pat

Postby Pat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:42 am

I salute your decision!! My choice for most of the year is an automatic inflatable. They come in different flotation weights. Most common are 24 and 33 pounds of flotation. If you get an inflatable, pick up at least one recharge kit for it. Also, for Coast Guard legal purposes, inflatable vests only count if they are being worn. Just having them in the boat does not count. For winter time I have a float jacket like Lawley suggested. It keeps me warm, safe and comfortable.

Pat

Return to “Fishing”