life vests

milehi

life vests

Post by milehi »

Getting smart at 77 & am going to start wearing a vest winter time fishing. Any suggestions?
mark poulson

Re: life vests

Post by mark poulson »

milehi wrote:Getting smart at 77 & am going to start wearing a vest winter time fishing. Any suggestions?
Everyone is different, so what works for me might not be right for you.
For me, finding a vest that is lightweight, comfortable, and that allows me to fish all day has made wearing mine all the time a part of my fishing routine.
I would go into a Bass Pro Shop, or any other store with a good selection of vests on display, and try some on.
That will give a starting point.
And remember, a life jacket is not the place to try and save money.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
kb

Post by kb »

That is a smart decision. I would recommend spending a little bit more and getting an automatic inflatable vest not a manual one. Some guys are going to say stay away from inflatable but if you arent comfortable in it you won't wear it and they are the most comfortable to wear. Several brands Onyx and Sospenders.

Hope this helps you
Kent Brown
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
JPFish

Post by JPFish »

As previously stated, everyone has different preferences with PFD's. Get one that you are comfortable wearing for extended periods of time. When trying on PFD's, make sure you wear clothing and jackets that simulate what you'd be wearing while on the boat to ensure you have the right fit.

If you do purchase an automatic inflatable PFD, make sure you follow the recommended maintenance guidelines.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Mustang jacket.
Not Only is it a life jacket it is a full on cold weather jacket all in one. Same jacket the coast guard wears
Pat

Post by Pat »

I salute your decision!! My choice for most of the year is an automatic inflatable. They come in different flotation weights. Most common are 24 and 33 pounds of flotation. If you get an inflatable, pick up at least one recharge kit for it. Also, for Coast Guard legal purposes, inflatable vests only count if they are being worn. Just having them in the boat does not count. For winter time I have a float jacket like Lawley suggested. It keeps me warm, safe and comfortable.

Pat
LEN B

Post by LEN B »

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
fastfiat

Post by fastfiat »

Just ordered one of these. Could use another layer for those cold winter days. They have a sale going now. https://mustangsurvival.com/collections ... 9091869741
milehi

Post by milehi »

Thanks everyone. Going down in a couple of days to BPS & pick one out. Wear so many clothes up here in the winter need an inflatable or wouldn't be able to move
drew

Post by drew »

Just to be clear that does not mean that you always have to wear it to be legal. You would have to have another non-inflatable onboard to be in compliance.
Pat wrote:I salute your decision!! My choice for most of the year is an automatic inflatable. They come in different flotation weights. Most common are 24 and 33 pounds of flotation. If you get an inflatable, pick up at least one recharge kit for it. Also, for Coast Guard legal purposes, inflatable vests only count if they are being worn. Just having them in the boat does not count. For winter time I have a float jacket like Lawley suggested. It keeps me warm, safe and comfortable.

Pat
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Around 20 years ago the Sheriffs boarded my boat for about a half hour on the Delta. The only violation they found was I had no throwable seat cushion with a rope attached. The fine was $150. They even checked that our life jackets were big enough for large fellows like us. I explained to them that storage is always at a premium on a bass boat, but the law clearly states you must have a throwable flotation device and I believe it's supposed to be on the deck at all times. I bought one and it's somewhere in the hull of my boat.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Reg life jackets for me. Too many stories of self inflating not inflating when wearer was in water. As far as throwable device. Yes you need to have on board. But I have looked and never found anything saying rope has to be attached or on deck. Mine is accessible but in center locker.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Dave Brabec wrote:Reg life jackets for me. Too many stories of self inflating not inflating when wearer was in water. As far as throwable device. Yes you need to have on board. But I have looked and never found anything saying rope has to be attached or on deck. Mine is accessible but in center locker.
They checked absolutely everything, including our fish. Back in those days I was known to keep a couple fish for dinner but have since been strictly catch and release for at least 15 years now.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Nothing wrong with a little selective harvest now and again