The red one vs g force trolling motor cables

J. Walker

The red one vs g force trolling motor cables

Post by J. Walker »

Which one is better, g force is 1/3 of the price and like the handle better. I need one for my fourtrex.
MartinDeHaven

Re: The red one vs g force trolling motor cables

Post by MartinDeHaven »

I've had the G force handle on my Minn Kota for the last 8 months and only have good things to say about it.No problems with it at all.
The only thing I see happening in the future is the plastic handle getting accidently stepped on and broken or it getting brittle from the sun over time and cracking.
I know the Red One has a aluminum handle...
I went with the G Force because of the price.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I would get the G force. The red one is a total rip off.

There was a thread on BBC about whats needed to make your own trolling motor cable system. Looked pretty easy and cheap.

I would prefer a plastic or rubber handle so it does not damage my boat. I know you can tie the handle down but that won't always happen.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Or make your own for $5
OG on WB since 1993
Austen

Post by Austen »

Mike wrote:Or make your own for $5
+1
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

I went to Lowes and got everything including the exact same handle the G-Force has for $15. 3 feet of cable 80 cents a foot, 2 crimps for ends $1.50, handle in the lawn mower department $10.
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

I have both. G-Force on my Tracker and The Red One on my Ranger. G-Force handle broke and decal fell off first day. Cable also kinks to EZ. Red One is waaaaaaayy better! Zebco or Daiwa? If you can afford Daiwa (The Red One), buy it.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
littlebailey

Post by littlebailey »

The rip cord by Viking Lures! way easier to install, 19.99 retail and tested for way too long. Tacklewarehouse will have them up in a few days. If you want to save your money. :D
"Posse Approved"
www.reactorwatch.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.irodfishing.com
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

The Red One has either an aluminum handle or a nylon handle. I have the nylon handle to avoid damage to the boat, etc.

I have had it for some time on my Fortrex and like it very much.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
DAN

Post by DAN »

Check this one Out I have them just view to see how easy install is...

http://fishinthecaliforniadelta.blogspot.com/
Dan Mathisen
dan_mathisen@att.net
209-612-5028

Ben Green Insurance
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

Thanks for all the advise and responses, kind of a mixed bag of opinions and I'm sure each product has their pros and cons. I think the red one comes with more goodies and might be a higher end product and should be for that price, but a nylon coated cable is just that, can't imagine much difference there. I'd love to have the opportunity to see them first hand but I live a long ways away from anyone that would have two, let alone all three.

I think I'll hold off until I can get some more info on the rip cord from Viking, but I think at this point I'm leaning towards the g force. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing and how I like it.

Thanks for all the help.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

red one
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Red One
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

littlebailey wrote:The rip cord by Viking Lures! way easier to install, 19.99 retail and tested for way too long. Tacklewarehouse will have them up in a few days. If you want to save your money. :D
BINGO! Way to go for sure!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Double-G

Post by Double-G »

I'm all in for the "RED ONE" I have torture tested mine for 2 years and it is still holding up! There's a reason all the others are imitating the Red One, because it's the best.
Greg Gutierrez
Frenzy Baits
biteme

Post by biteme »

Double-G wrote:I'm all in for the "RED ONE" I have torture tested mine for 2 years and it is still holding up! There's a reason all the others are imitating the Red One, because it's the best.
Actually, G force was out before the Red one. Matter of fact Razza had a version before the red one.
http://www.amazon.com/T-H-GFH-1R-DP-G-F ... otor+cable
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Ron T. wrote:red one

Posted June 2013. less than a year later update. two weeks ago the cable broke at handle. Made do by putting cable threw the end of handle and locking it in with the piece that came off the end of cable. this week the cable is ready to give at the other end. frayed big time. not another day left on it. Not sure what the answere is to this pull cord problem. Seems its just one of those things we need to deal with .
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

Hey guys, I ended up getting the g force and a year later no problems at all
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Had mine for the same time period as Ron and still good to go. Red One...I have an aluminum handle.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

My Minn Kota handle still works.....if it breaks I have a spare that I bought for $10 at tackle warehouse. :D
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Hi guys
Just a quick note that you only need to return your Red One system anytime for a no question replacement. In all fairness make sure you are using my stainless sleeve and pin cover on all Minn Kotas, if not that area is going to wear out, and you can actually saw a slice in the top of your motor from a system where my sleeve is not used . It's real easy to see if your system is failing there. I've tried really hard to help end the dreaded cord snap. Everything in those Red One systems is very costly and I always use the best materials I can find. This gets passed along to you guys. A perfect system? Maybe not....yet. I stand behind all my products and will take care of any issues which thankfully have been very minimal.
Thanks, Danny Miller
Howard Hughes

Post by Howard Hughes »

I got a new Fortex 101 a few months back and had the Red One installed and I'm loving it. No more tangled ropes in my reel handles, or hooks in my rope. After over 30 years tournament fishing I would not have thought something so simple would make fishing so much more enjoyable. All this for less than the cost of a good fishing rod ! Get the RED ONE you will not be sorry.
Howard Hughes
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I've had the RED One since Danny first introduced them, installed one on each of my MG Tour motors and the difference they made in pulling my motor out of the mount was excellent and still functioning today. I've now installed one on the Minkota that's on the Pheonix, flawless operation since and never have to worry about breakage. The cable that he uses, is not just any coated cable, but in fact the same cable used in the pully systems on aircraft. Is it expensive, yes it is and you are paying for the absolute best quality parts you can possibly get as well as a thoroughly well thought out design and full cable system to match your motor.

I don't know any thing about G-Force or The Rip Cord, yet because the Red One is designed by Danny Miller, I know I'm getting the best in both product and service, and would not think twice about installing any other system. I know I got the Mercedes of TM cables.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

I know this thread is over a year old, but that's the beauty of the "search" button on this forum!! I broke the latch release/lift rope on my MinnKota Edge this weekend. Was lucky there was enough of the end sticking outta the guide where I could get some pliers on it to release the down lock, but I can't go thru that for a whole day again!! Does anyone have the web site for the three cables mentioned in this thread? (Red One, G Force, Rip Cord) Thanks in advance
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

bassrman

Post by bassrman »

broke the plastic handle on my G-Force(cheap plastic), I wonder if T-H Marine would replace it ? any one tried yet ?.....
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Thanks, Ron!!
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

I ended up getting mine from tackle warehouse, install was super easy and it is still working great

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/G-Force_ ... FORCE.html

http://www.thmarine.com/products/Trolli ... fgodJlUACw
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

TW won't sell just the handle !, waiting for TH Marine to get back to me !....
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

TH marine never returned my email & voicemail !.... I found the exact same handle at Amazon for 8$ !
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Red One
We carry them at the Hook Line & Sinker
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Gene Buchholz wrote:Red One
We carry them at the Hook Line & Sinker
Gene, will the Red One work on a Minn Kota Edge? The only ones listed on their website are the Maxxum and Fortrex
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
MartinDeHaven

Post by MartinDeHaven »

I recently contacted TH Marine regarding my handle cracking at the base where the cable goes thru.
They asked for my address and 4 days later, I received a whole new G-Force Handle Set for free.TH Marine backs their products and were very helpful.I highly recommend TH Marine
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

That's how customer service should be Martin. I get a lot of feed back and sometimes the question does come up about why I don't make a cheap version. It does arouse my curiosity. I am in the process of helping to redesign that particular handle with the company that owns the patent on it as it does have issues. They are asking I use it in a new system. There are cheaper versions out there but a lot of negativity comes from purchasers and i'm really thin skinned so making a cheap bullet proof system........not sure about that...yet.
Thanks Danny
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

How about an old fashioned wood dowel handle?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bassrman

Post by bassrman »

T&H finally got back to me" sending me the whole kit ! free of charge !. the apologized for not returning my call earlier !....Cool!...
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

So it all comes down to a question I asked earlier...will the Red One work on a Minn Kota Edge? Danny? Gene? Anyone???
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

Stratos278 wrote:So it all comes down to a question I asked earlier...will the Red One work on a Minn Kota Edge? Danny? Gene? Anyone???
Some of the smaller trolling motors my system will not fit. If your in Folsom or Sac town I could come by verify, and do an install for you.
Danny
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

All I can say Is I really liked the g-force until yesterday when I was on the delta in 30+ mph winds and went to pull up the trolling motor to have the handle snap off in my hand. That wasn't fun trying to get the motor up while getting blown out.
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar
DannyMiller

Post by DannyMiller »

fishercurtis wrote:All I can say Is I really liked the g-force until yesterday when I was on the delta in 30+ mph winds and went to pull up the trolling motor to have the handle snap off in my hand. That wasn't fun trying to get the motor up while getting blown out.
Sorry to hear that Curtis. Those types of mishaps hardly ever happen in calm situations, at least none of mine anyway, and I've had my share. The new design I sent them will end that if they decide to go with it.
Danny
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Sorry Stratos I haven't been on line for a couple of days. What Danny Miller said
Rob

Post by Rob »

So I put a fortrex on my boat. Also installed The Red One SS cable. Easy install, but found the cord was a bit long for me as I'm not tall. Sat 530pm randomly called Danny Miller to ask about cutting and putting new crimp on.....he actually answered (it's his cell#on his site) and he said I'll custom cut you a new one and send it out. Texted me today and said it's sent. That's customer service! And finished it off with reinforcing his lifetime warranty. Worth the extra money to me. Thanks Danny!
J.Bubier

Post by J.Bubier »

Danny Miller is that guy, Go with his product and you will not be disappointed!!! It is nice when someone actually researches a product and puts out quality not cheap quantity, congrats Danny, look forward to seeing you again in the future..
Jason Bubier
Director
NorCal90 Fishing Events
530-230-8868 cell
530-589-2601 home
ajbubier@sbcglobal.net
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

T-H Marine is a strong and long standing company with lots of great products google them they are the real thing much more than pull cords- cables
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
mm

Post by mm »

Minn Kota also is making a cable too.
its on their website.
Installed in five minutes.
I've had mine a while, so far so good and half the price of red.
Ray Vanacore

Post by Ray Vanacore »

On a Minn kota you can put all the different cables and ropes you want but it don't fix the problem, Danny has solved that problem to and extent by replacing the bushing with a stainless steel chamfered and polished on both ends to eliminate the chafing of the cables and rope . Minn Kota is aware of the problem as Danny has talked to them about it.
Ray Vanacore
mm

Post by mm »

Polish the existing hole on the minn kota, its not that hard.
Also a shot of silicone spray does wonders no matter which cable you have.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

MY THMarine one just busted while fishing 50 mph winds at El Cap today, bummer. After searching and reading all this, went for the Viking Marine Ripcord. It's more now, what, 7 years later- some $24 thru Tackle Warehouse. You almost go overboard when they break 1/2 way up, glad I didn't. :oops:
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.