NEW TO BERRYESSA! POUR IT ON

Tom Watts

NEW TO BERRYESSA! POUR IT ON

Post by Tom Watts »

Hey guys,

My buddy and I are avid bass anglers from the San Jose area, and we typically fish all the Santa Clara County reservoirs, and also Del Valle, Discovery Bay/Delta, etc. We're planning a trip up to Lake Berryessa for the first time, and we'd love anybody to chime in with any advice, locations, and general information about this body of water. We love to do our due diligence before heading out to any spot, so any advice is welcomed! We've always wanted to fish here, and it seems like we timed our trip nicely, eh? Looks like it's a bass blitz out there in recent weeks. We'll be there this weekend, Saturday 6/10 through midday Monday, 6/12. Thank you!

- Tom Watts
WB Staff

Re: NEW TO BERRYESSA! POUR IT ON

Post by WB Staff »

You may've already checked out the Berry lake report section; but if not, here is a link.

http://www.westernbass.com/lake/berryessa
Tom Watts

Post by Tom Watts »

Thank you! Yes, we've been watching it.

- Tom
nate50

Post by nate50 »

I've been putting together good bags on top water and s wavers the last few weeks. There's a ton on trees and submerged bushes that are holding fish I've been fishing that 5-10ft range. I've heard buddies doing well up the creek arms but I've been staying on the main lake. I only jump in the creeks if the ski boaters get on my nerves that day lol hope that gives you a starting thought or 2
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

You bring back memories!! I learned to bass fish on all the Santa Clara valley lakes in the early "70's before moving to Yuba City. I almost didn't want to move when my 5 biggest bass from Coyote and Lexington in 1974 weighed 33 1/2 lbs! Actually, I fished Chesbro mostly - from the bank and hooked many huge bass in those years. It had no fishing pressure then! My first ever Rattle Trap bass was a 5 pounder from Chesbro - in the dead of winter. i wonder if there are any big bass left in Chesbro - never hear any more about that lake.

You should have no problem catching bass at Beryessa, but the bigger ones are hard to find in the post-spawn. The east shore where trees are flooded is always a good bet. Have fun!!
Freefall

Post by Freefall »

I just spent 3 days there and cought them all 3 days despite the weather. Mixed bags but a majority were largemouth.

Drop shot and topwater were the 2 most consistent bites.

Wednesday I had 16lbs, yesterday 14.6 today was 13.9lbs for 4 hours of fishing before having to head home.

I knew almost nothing about the lake. This was only my 2nd time ever being on it but by covering water, fishing the conditions and establishing a patern I got bit well all 3 days.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....