Smallmouth fishery

stubbs

Smallmouth fishery

Post by stubbs »

I've got a buddy from SoCal who wants to catch smallmouth.

I've caught some occasionally on the Delta, Berryessa, etc but never really targeted them. Any recommendations on lakes a few hours from the Bay Area I can take him to.
Andrew5414

Re: Smallmouth fishery

Post by Andrew5414 »

Don Pedro is a good place up river I tend to find some. Lake tulloch has a healthy population of smallmouth also.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Almanor but maybe check road conditions?

Larry has put out some reports over the years on smallies from there

https://www.westernbass.com/lake/almanor
Larry Hemphill

Probably Berryessa

Post by Larry Hemphill »

All the lakes are in bad shape now until the weather settles down some. I think Berryessa would be your best bet, if you can find some cleaner water. Smallies get active in March and will start to move to the backs of coves. Smallies are found all over the narrows, in and around the coves. Also around Big Island. Drop-shot a thicker bait or worm - one that moves more water! One with lots of ribs is good - with added Smelly Jelly or other scent. Shake the bait more than normal.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

If you go to Berry, check out the ramp info that has been being discussed

capell-cove-berryessa-t119983.html
biteme

Post by biteme »

I've caught some good ones at Berry on a BBZ floater around the rock gardens.
nate50

Post by nate50 »

Ive always heard that Pardee has some good smallies. I’ve never been there so maybe someone else can confirm.
Andrew5414

Post by Andrew5414 »

nate50 wrote:Ive always heard that Pardee has some good smallies. I’ve never been there so maybe someone else can confirm.
Pardee can be a great smallie lake. The boat inspection is a pain. Makes sure your boat clean and try there.
Darius Arberry

Post by Darius Arberry »

If he’s from SoCal Lake Havasu and Lake Mohave.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Darius Arberry wrote:If he’s from SoCal Lake Havasu and Lake Mohave.
Darius I think his buddy is coming up north from down south. This time of year on Berryessa besides the spawn to post spawn can be some of the best smallmouth fishing. With the current water levels and clarity can make it harder to locate them. I’ve had most of my success catching smallies on a lucky craft jerk bait 90 pointer in ghost minnow when the water is clear and chart shad with a little less clarity and my 2nd bait is a football head jig. With our present water conditions that might be the best presentation. Berryessa can also push out big fish in all 3 species. During the spawn you can sight fish them all day in high visibility areas and top water it seems they’re first to feeding on the surface.
zmyers
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

zdbm2004 wrote:
Darius I think his buddy is coming up north from down south.
Yup nailed it.

Thanks everyone we will probably push it out a month or two and try.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

stubbs wrote:
zdbm2004 wrote:
Yup nailed it.

Stubs,
if your putting it off a month or so, then you have plenty of options. I might even consider going all the way up to Trinity. By far one of the best we have here in CA. my buddy from Redding was just there last week and catching smallies all day. The weather is always the big thing.

i would rank the lakes as follows:
1- Almanor (shear volume of smallies, plus they have lots of 5+lbers where you can get a 5 fish limit of them, plus the beauty)
2 - Trinity (plenty of smallies. large and small size. beautiful area too. only drawback is distance and the lake can turn off with weather).
3 - Pardee (big smallies, but it can be a hit or miss lake for bites. this lake takes some knowledge to catch the good ones)
4 - Berryessa (easy to fish, and easy to catch smallies. you almost guaranteed to catch them if you fish the west walls on the main lake. same thing going up putah creek. lots of fish, but not necessarily large ones over 5+lbs. You do get one now and then.)

Hope that helps ya.

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
biteme

Post by biteme »

kopper_bass wrote:
stubbs wrote:
zdbm2004 wrote:
Yup nailed it.

Stubs,
if your putting it off a month or so, then you have plenty of options. I might even consider going all the way up to Trinity. By far one of the best we have here in CA. my buddy from Redding was just there last week and catching smallies all day. The weather is always the big thing.

i would rank the lakes as follows:
1- Almanor (shear volume of smallies, plus they have lots of 5+lbers where you can get a 5 fish limit of them, plus the beauty)
2 - Trinity (plenty of smallies. large and small size. beautiful area too. only drawback is distance and the lake can turn off with weather).
3 - Pardee (big smallies, but it can be a hit or miss lake for bites. this lake takes some knowledge to catch the good ones)
4 - Berryessa (easy to fish, and easy to catch smallies. you almost guaranteed to catch them if you fish the west walls on the main lake. same thing going up putah creek. lots of fish, but not necessarily large ones over 5+lbs. You do get one now and then.)

Hope that helps ya.

Kopper_Bass
Yo Kopper you missed a couple! But I forgot where they are hahahaha.
Larry Hemphill

Totally agree - almost!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Good job Kopper! I think your rankings are correct - with maybe one exception. I think I would rank Trinity as number one - just because it is out of the way, generally gets less pressure, a lower altitude (longer growing season), and very "thick" smallies that take advantage of a good food chain. Five pound smallies are pretty rare at Almanor these days. Remember, Almanor is at the 4500 elevation - many months of very slow growth. I fished the spring invitational tournament at Almanor hosted by the Mountain Bass Association for the past two years. Mike Sperbeck was my partner. We took third, and then I think 7th the second year. They run an excellent tournament! I don't remember if there was a 5 lb smallie brought in for both tournaments. There could have been and I just missed hearing the weight. There were several 4 to near 5 pounders weighed in, but not many.

This year could see even slower growth at both lakes because of the VERY cold, long winter.
Bsapp206

Post by Bsapp206 »

Lake Sonoma right now they typically eat the jig everywhere. Prespawn smallie bite there is really good.
SacRtrain

Post by SacRtrain »

If you're coming from the bay, Del Val out of Livermore is pretty good. I've only fished there once but had a really good day catching small mouth on a walker. The inspection is painful though.